The main reasons women color their hair are:
- Covering (incipient) gray hair.
- Creating a new look.
- With a temporary coloring, the paint will have disappeared from the hair after about 6 to 8 washes. This way of coloring hair is mainly used to darken hair. This way of coloring will not be used to lighten the hair color because there is no hydrogen peroxide in the products used for this. The advantage of this temporary coloring is that no outgrowth occurs, because the paint is slowly washed out.
- With a semi-permanent coloring, the hair will remain in it for about 8 to 12 washes. This way of coloring is mainly used to cover or camouflage the first gray hair or to use a color similar to one’s own hair. With this way of coloring, the hair cannot be made lighter, just like with a temporary coloring.
- With a permanent color, the new color must grow out of the hair. With permanent coloring there is therefore a question of outgrowth, if this outgrowth is not regularly updated. A permanent hair coloring can make your hair lighter, in contrast to the temporary coloring and semi-permanent coloring. This way of coloring is also often used to camouflage gray hair.
Advice from the hairdresser
Your hairdresser knows best what is and is not possible with your hair (color). If you are not sure about coloring your hair, it is wise to consult your hairdresser. The hairdresser knows which hair color suits you best and how you can best realize this color. For example, it is not possible to go from dark to light hair or from light to dark hair without intermediate steps.
Coloring is often not bad for the hair these days
Many people think that coloring and dyeing your hair is very bad. Today this is much less the case than in the past, because new products for dyeing hair usually contain different types of ingredients that protect the hair against the action of hydrogen peroxide, for example.
Risks with dyeing hair
When choosing to dye the hair, there is always the risk of an undesirable result. For example, a different color may arise than you had in mind. There is also the possibility of an allergic reaction. Therefore, always read the package leaflet carefully to get an idea of the risks when dyeing hair.
Colored or dyed hair needs extra care
With colored or dyed hair, it is extra important that it is well cared for, so that the hair retains its shine and the color in the hair remains as beautiful as possible.
- A conditioner or conditioner should be used for colored hair after every wash.
- Do not comb or brush the hair too long and too rough.
- Use a special shampoo for colored hair.
- Rinse the shampoo out with lukewarm water.
- Avoid excessive use of the hair dryer.